Two of the greatest reasons that the Bible is probably often misunderstood are either because it is taken out of context, or its translation did not do it justice and the writing was taken at face value. The first would seem reasonably due to the fact that the Bible can easily be taken out of context. I have been personally frustrated reading parts of the Bible, not realizing what was really being said. In order to properly understand the Bible it is more than often necessary to use a commentary while reading. Although I have been reading the Bible since I can remember, I cannot believe that I have never experienced it in its proper format by use of a commentary. This resource utilizes cross-reference which helps to correlate related facts and topics, especially with prophecy. I haven’t found the commentary to be confusing at all as it follows verse for verse with the Bible. It explains any analogy in terms that make sense.
Another common situation is that the Bible not be translated in the correct terms and with fair parallels. To me this makes sense, because the Bible is being taken from Greek and Roman languages which are very different than English. In some cases there is also a middleman between the original language and the one that it is being translated to. Sometimes this will just cause false interpretation which is usually easily addressable; the use of the commentary can assist in this. However, there are times when the Bible in its written format will clearly contradict itself. This may not seem a matter of interpretation, and it often times is not. I can think of one experience where I tried fervently to read between the lines of a true account in the Bible.
Another common situation is that the Bible not be translated in the correct terms and with fair parallels. To me this makes sense, because the Bible is being taken from Greek and Roman languages which are very different than English. In some cases there is also a middleman between the original language and the one that it is being translated to. Sometimes this will just cause false interpretation which is usually easily addressable; the use of the commentary can assist in this. However, there are times when the Bible in its written format will clearly contradict itself. This may not seem a matter of interpretation, and it often times is not. I can think of one experience where I tried fervently to read between the lines of a true account in the Bible.
This passage is found in Matthew chapter 15 verses 24-27. Jesus had just fled from Palestine to Tyre which was on the border between Palestine and Gentile territory. He wanted to seclude himself from the Jews so that he could pray and study in peace.
“From there Jesus took a trip to Tyre and Sidon. They had hardly arrived when a Cananite woman came down from the hills and pleaded, “Mercy, Mast, Son of David! My daughter is cruelly afflicted by an evil spirit.” Jesus ignored her. The disciples came and complained; “Now she’s bothering us. Would you please take care of her? She’s driving us crazy.” Jesus refused, telling them, “I’ve got my hands full dealing with the lost sheep of Israel.” Then the woman came back to Jesus, went to her knees, and begged, “Master, help me.” He said, “It’s not right to take bread out of children’s mouths and throw it to dogs.” She was quick: “You’re right, Master, but beggar dogs do get scraps from the master’s table.” Jesus gave in. “Oh, woman, your faith is something else. What you want is what you get!” Right then her daughter became well.”
The woman being a Canaanite was referred to in the socially accepted manner, where Gentiles are called ‘dogs’ and the Jews were considered the children of God. By referring to her as a dog, Jesus meant not the wild dogs of the street but rather a pet dog which would live in the house. The woman was asking for only a small amount of compassion from Jesus and not even that which he would give the Jewish children of God. She complied with her position as a “dog” and wanted only “scraps”. Through her humility and by her faith, she proved her understanding of the situation to Jesus and he in turn granted her request immediately.
I never guessed anything as simple but yet as camouflaged as this meaning from the text in its basic format straight from my Bible. This is just one example of how easy it is to misunderstand the Bible.
I never guessed anything as simple but yet as camouflaged as this meaning from the text in its basic format straight from my Bible. This is just one example of how easy it is to misunderstand the Bible.
No comments:
Post a Comment