Just the other day, I was the prospector of a 5k race. It took place in mid-morning during the current cool season of autumn. As I stood on the side of the course, only restrained by an ankle injusry from flushing my soles to the white painted line, a friend next to me said
"I don't know why people do this...why they like to run."
As the runners strided past with a compilation of desperation and sill-remaining hopefulness followed by a look of doubt and fear for most on their faces. Their breath forming a beard as mystical as that of a genie around their red faces. What could motivate them to line up for agony when there can only be one winner to the race? Especially for those unlikely to win. I looked at my friend, the first time far enough out of my element since its establishment in my life, with the capability to hold a "third-party" opinion on my beloved hobby. With sincerity I said,
"I really don't know, I really do not know. In fact," I said, "this looks terrible right now and I'm very glad I'm watching this race rather than being within it, exerting myself in the cold."
With disbelief and a questionable look of patheticness directed clearly at me, my friend wandered at me for explanation to my sudden metamorphesis. Surprisingly, I had an immediate and steadily founded claim.
"I suppose it's the cold which makes this competition loose its appeal for competition." I said.
I was amazed at my stark realization to the matter, for I have spent the last 4 years of my life -simultaneous to my coming of age- daily dedicated to a run. I always wondered what my feelings would be toward it once I was without out it. It was the competative sport season which yoked me to it that had me believing the lack of this physical motion was impossible by my own will. Now that I am injured however, and do not have the choice one way or another I can see that I do truly enjoy it but I'm able to see different aspects on the matter. Not only that I am a fair-weather partaker in this activity, but more importantly that I am who I am aside from this arduous and committing "hobby".
I don't think that I will take running so seriously anymore, having been given the chance to evaluate its definition in my actual life. I understand now that it isn't as important as I thought. It's interesting that when God intervenes and we are not in control, (in my being injured) how He reveals another length to the mural than what we may have been able to see when we are standing so close to it all along.
No comments:
Post a Comment