Sunday, November 6, 2011

The Sense of Sound Investigated

It’s interesting the way a sound can be intercepted and a feeling can be attached to it and creep into our emotions without our conscious attention. The sense of sound can often be sneaky. It is the sense whose sensation cannot be controlled through filtration. Sound is also the sense which can be obstructed from invariably the largest distance. It is for these reasons I suppose, that I think sounds hold the most symbolism of the 5 senses.                                                                                                                                             
Much of the time we do not intend to hear certain things like a train whistle or a bird of the relieving of a an airplanes fuel, casting an over-whelmingness over all sounds present, yet far-set enough to be drowned by those sharper and nearer. At whatever the extreme, we can persist to be emotionally effected. When paralleled to sight, it as though –exclusively- we are looking at a snapshot which brings us to the time and place in which the photo was taken. A sound can only partially be denied and only once it has been expected. Because of this, I think sound can impact mood. Wherever I am, the sound of kids playing outside, raising their voices in excitement and meaning with leaf blowers or lawn mowers, I feel most at home as a sound can bring me to feel. These sounds are familiar, common, and are part of life which is safe and ordinary to me. When I hear jest-skis or boats, I am immediately given the sense of pleasure and my most ideal state. It is that which I am safely immersed in the position of safeness still, but with an edge. I am with my family enjoying the summer at the lake house where exceptions are made; sun-screen is neglected, bed-times are stretched, speeds on the water are tested by bravery, and competition is present as the cousins see who can jump furthest off the dock. This summed up on a summer-warmed, familiar feeling can be achieved by a sound.                                                                                                    
Likewise in effect, feelings can not only be visited, but created by a sound. These are the sounds which are mysterious and where experience is not attached to them. When I was little, the sound heard beneath the water of a pool was scary to me. There is a very distant, magnified sound beneath the water in a pool. It sounds as though the water is not limited to the walls of the pool, but rather is contiguous with the depths of the oceans, every lake, and river combined and as deep as the mountains are tall and continuing into unknown darkness. In the midst of this expansiveness, I can amazingly hear the closest things which cannot be heard above water, like hair tingling.

No comments:

Post a Comment