In present day America there is a great amount of interest and effort put towards the influence and education of American children. With the installment of the No Child Left Behind act, teenagers being the number one target of advertising, and the ever-present force placed on adopting the good morale necessary to achieve The American Dream, it is the hope of our government, our mentors, and our parents that we as the teenage generation of this day are properly prepared when it is our turn to control the nation. As a natural result of this, there is reason for the investors of these lives to monitor and take heed to the progress and direction of their dependents while they are yet premature and their product outcome able to be sculpted. Based on our current actions, I sense that our mentors have a good deal of skepticism towards the stability of our nation’s future as it is placed in our responsibility. I have reason to think that they find us insufficient in many areas that they believe will futuristically put us below the standard which America expects. Although I agree that there is some reason for apprehension, I also believe that our generation has many quality characteristics. Whether our elders realize the value of these characteristics or even the presence of them at all, there ought to be surprise of the benefit these exclusive strengths will hold to our account. I believe that today’s teenagers are prematurely being cut short of our potential worth.
Often times I have heard my parents make comments about the disrespectfulness, irresponsibility, and carelessness of the teenage generation. I fully agree with their conception on the matter. Although it may seem that carelessness would be the least iniquitous of the three, and typically it would indeed be trumped by the other two when compared in terms of slander. However, I find this particular situation to be contrary. When disrespectfulness is merely “suppressed” by carelessness, it seems to be more of an issue of laziness and selfishness rather than anything else. In one example, both of these attributes are accounted for within a single situation of carelessness, in addition to several other attributes. Often times I have heard my parents make comments about the disrespectfulness, irresponsibility, and carelessness of the nation of my peers. Of course they usually always back this up with saying that “the apple doesn’t fall far from tree” implying that it is the parent who is almost nearly the sole source of culpability at stake if there should be any sort of blunder found in their child’s morale. It is true that we can only know what we’ve either been taught or made able to understand whether by experience or example, so I agree with this reasoning with respect for a latter contradiction to this claim.
More presently, I can think of many times that a teacher will ask of their class a favor or a request for a leader, or even someone just to answer a simple question, and not a single student will volunteer to even attempt assistance. Even though this could be in the least complex of positions, and aside from the fact that I see this encounter on a regular and nonchalant basis, it is as if something beyond reasonable is being asked of my peers and I when this instance occurs. We just don’t have the motivation to go much beyond what it is that is asked of us without there being an incentive. I gathered this specific paragon both for its inclusion of the attributes of disrespectfulness, irresponsibility, and carelessness along with an inclusion of several other weaknesses I find my generation to hold, which are that of a lack in activism, leadership, and motivation. Of these, perhaps it would seem that carelessness and lack of motivation might be the least iniquitous of all, and typically these two would indeed be trumped by the other two when compared in terms of slander; however I find this particular situation to be contrary.
It isn’t until upon the emergence of the child into situations of independence where a specifically generational diversity and variation eventuate. Apart from that fact that this is with expectancy, I believe that our generation has developed our best and most exclusive attributes -for the most part- among our own esprit de corps. One of these facets I have found is to be our acceptance towards diversity, both culturally and ethnically. Ethnic integration is probably the one aspect whose evolution has had the greatest impact on society between the prebaby-boom generation and that of my own. I think that our generation is a milestone in this progression as we were born into an era where ethnic tension was nearly non-existent, acquiring for us neutrality towards our racially integrated culture. This I believe holds the greatest benefactor towards American both as a culture and a society. It will contribute to our melting pot, broaden our mindset as a whole, and assimilate us to a point of comfort where there is acceptance in the midst of diversity. All of these achieved with a creativity which I hold hope to ultimately being the crafter of a more accepting community throughout our niche in humanity.
I hear relatively often of grandparents and even parents who will yet occasionally be heard in mumbling behind the scenes suggesting ethnicity as a factorization in a person. It is typically skimmed over and disregarded as impertinent to an individual’s quality, but occasionally mentioned even so. Although the issue of racial discrimination has not completely lost its relevance, it is obvious that as the generations have continued, it is not nearly as large of an issue. This is evident in the way that stereotypes are no longer limited by ethnicity as I believe they once were. Also, whether a benefactor of not, racial pun has taken some sort of evolution whether in depth or in classification. I think that maybe not directly positive, this consideration shows that we have become more impartial. One way that this situation could be perceived is by exemplifying ethnical dissimilarity as having shifted from a collective typing which heaps the racial group as a whole to a more individualized selection of popularity. It seems as the assimilation of the ethnicity is attacked more so than the group of people itself. This I believe is a theme among stereotyping today in more aspects than just that of ethnic diversity.
Naturally appended to ethnic diversity is cultural diversity. Whether due to or simply simultaneous to ethnic diversity, I have noticed that my generation is becoming more and more apprehensive towards the American variety of culture. Especially now that we are nearing young-adulthood, stereotypes and bigotry towards difference has become fairly irrelevant. I believe that my generation has been taught respectively by our elders, not to judge the group but the individuals themselves despite what the teachers of this message were previously accustomed to identifying people with. (Perhaps it is because they reaped the effects of discrimination in their own youth and wanted better for their children). As a result of our close adhering to the golden rule as a basic principal, we have created diversity in and of itself because our quality of respect for people has been -in most senses- well fostered. As far as our down-falls go, these may be things that we will acquire a higher standard of through failure and more concrete discipline. I believe that any issues of irresponsibility and laziness or carelessness will be mainly abolished when we enter a greater reality. Whether we do or whether we do not follow through with our sample qualities of today in the future, I believe that we have been well enough equipped to fulfill our expected destiny as the leaders of a nation. Some of the contributors of this most positive anticipation are definitely thanks to our parents, while others are thanks to them for the independence with which to discover them. Either way, I find reason to place a faith and pride in the fellow peers of my generation.
No comments:
Post a Comment