When I initially skimmed through this article after a friend sent it to me for my information and take on it, I did not agree with it. I didn’t really think much about it at first. I barely formulated my consensus on it, and had disregarded it and yet had just a slight aurora of coarseness and demur about it all the same.
The one basis which was a claim to the perspective I formed on the article was a line by Professor Helen Fisher saying:
"Kissing is not just kissing. It is a major escalation or de-escalation point in a powerful process of mate choice"…
Although chemically physical attractions may indeed be scientifically true and affective in relationships where those chemicals combine very well, they should ultimately be detached from the emotional and spiritual aspects of the relationship. In other words, I do not think that success and credibility of a relationship is dependent upon the physical chemistry of which. We are relational people. And we were made for a spiritual life. Where the advanced actuality of carnal life has involved the dynamic of physicality and emotion in relationship, these may only with ignorance be rejected as a relational determinant. I am neither saying that the physical realm of factors are not relevant to relation, nor that they are trivial but that they simply are not the factors which may finally determine the basis for a relationship.
I do not believe in saying that this is completely the belief among humanity, even excluding people like myself from the evaluation of such (meaning people who hold the same views as those which I have addressed already about myself). I cannot deny that there are people who –even if they comply with Fisher’s claim fundamentally- would agree with the science behind the proof of couples who have had relational success apart from physical attraction. However, I think that most people probably favor -with confidence and denial toward the possibility of a more reasonable and correct view- the view presented through the article.
No comments:
Post a Comment